ISAIAH 41:10

Do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be afraid, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you; I will help you;
I will hold on to you
with My righteous right hand.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Tough Tuesday... Surgery Wednesday

We found out yesterday morning that Garrett needed a shunt. It was really hard to handle. He was progressing so well. His head circumference increased quite a bit during the 24 hour period and spinal fluid was building up in his lower back. He had surgery on Wednesday morning at 8. Thank you so much for the support of our parents. Patrica was at he hospital at 6:30, and Carolyn took Avery to school again and then she arrived at 9 with Whataburger. My dad also got up there around 8:30. Also special thanks to Jodi and Brooklyn for dropping by to stay with us during his surgery.

Garrett came out of surgery around 1o:30. He is so strong and tough. He was back to his normal bed within the hour. He had no complications from surgery, and he was already ready to eat. The surgery has already made a difference on his back. To my non medical eyes, I can already see that there is no more swelling. We have some major shunt milestones that we have to get to. These things are really great. It is amazing how much it has already helped him. Hopefully he will never have another shunt procedure in his life. That's definitely what we are praying for. As always thanks for praying for Garrett.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy Garrett came through surgery like a champ! Thanks for updating us. Love ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was our honor to be there this morning! It's like Garrett planned it perfectly for us. :) I also hope Brooklyn was a GOOD distraction, not an overwhelming one. Good grief, she was a MANIAC today... all over the stinkin' place! But we are just thrilled that you guys are already seeing such an improvement in Garrett after today. I know it was a hard couple of days, and I am so sorry about that. But he is AMAZING and still kicking butt!!! Can't wait to see him in person! We'll be in touch.... and of course we are still praying.

    I had to delete my comment because I SO didn't proof it... and I'm typing at 1:30am. Bad combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are so grateful for Garrett's progress from the belly until now. But, I am sure going through surgery #2 and having a shunt placed is extremely stressful. Your heart breaks for little Garrett & then you are also filled w/joy when you see (like Adam said) the swelling go down & he is back in his bed.
    Sending love, hugs, & sissy K kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that Garrett had to go through another surgery but also glad that it was a success. Zach said he got a text from you yesterday saying you got to go home. That has to be an awesome feeling after spending the past month away. We are continuing to keep all of you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete